Sunday, September 16, 2012

A quick recovery...

Ken's recovery cycle has been amazingly quick.  In a span of only 4 days, his white blood cell count has gone from 0, back to 8.4 (normal).  This is amazing.  He was slated to start 'B' cycle on Friday, but it looks like it's being bumped to tomorrow, which means he won't be discharged into outpatients at this time.

Fantastic.

His hair did start to fall out, which I was told was likely to happen.  As stupid as it sounds, I think this is one of the things that has affected me most deeply.  Because of his hair starting to fall out, Ken had the nurses shave his head... and it made me cry.

Pretty dumb, huh.  I am so thankful that he's getting through this so well, it shouldn't matter that he's lost his hair (what little he has, he'd tell you).  But it does matter, to me.

Ken says he's feeling "almost human" again.  So not that he's ready to take on a marathon, but it sounds like he's done with his week-long headache, and the bone and muscle aches that accompanied his recovery cycle.

I'm doing OK.  Not to sound whiny, but this is difficult for me too.  I never expected to be a single mom to "2 under 2"; I love the boys but they are exhausting.  I miss being able to nudge Ken awake in the middle of the night, so he could take care of them and I could sleep (because he could take a nap with them later, while I was at work).  And I love my job, but I don't know how I'm going to do it if I don't have childcare that I can afford.  That's my big project for tomorrow; getting childcare arranged.  But I'm without a babysitter for Saturday (mine is busy with a fundraiser for a friend that also has cancer), and so far haven't been able to find anyone that is available.

I am trying to take care of myself; I got the boys out for two walks today.  And we're eating pretty decent. 

And I almost got to sleep in today (8:30am, with only being up twice during the night).

I know it will get better.  And I know it's not forever.

Ken figures he will be home in 10 weeks.

I am counting down the days...

1 comment:

  1. I wish we lived closer and I could help out somehow! I'm glad things are progressing. xo

    ReplyDelete