Wednesday, August 29, 2012

CT Scan and more news

Ken had his CT scan this morning - they injected him with some sort of dye so that they could see his lymph nodes better.  It was a very stressful experience for him - because they spent so much time scanning his head, he's paranoid that something is going on there.  I try to reduce his anxiety as best I can - the only thing I can think of is that because is tumor is located in his neck, they want to be especially thorough in regards to the tissue surrounding it.

I was working today while he was having his test done, and really was not prepared for the call I got in the afternoon.

The oncologist called.

They wanted Ken in the hospital as soon as possible.

They wanted to airlift him to Vancouver immediately, to be admitted into the Cancer ward, to begin treatment.

I was so scared when he told me that.  He was terrified.  We didn't know if it was the result of the CT scan, or the bone marrow biopsy...

We did get confirmation on the type of Cancer, though.

Burkitt's Lymphoma.

One of the rarest, and the most aggressive Cancer know.  Fewer than 300 people are diagnosed with it in the United States every year.  And the tumors can double in size in as little as 24 hours.

The good news is, that it is not only treatable, but CURABLE.

As in, no recurrence in 91% of the cases within 8 years - if caught early enough.

I can only pray that is the case.

So tonight, Ken is waiting in his hospital room, unable to sleep.  I'm at home with the boys, unable to sleep.  I left work early.  I've desperately tried to make arrangements, but there is still so much to do.  Ken's family will be down tomorrow.  There is so much to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment