Saturday, October 13, 2012

Here's to hoping...

Ken has picked up some sort of sinus and possibly ear infection.  He's had two days of chemo so far this cycle, with his third scheduled for Tuesday.

I am hope hope hoping that he'll be well enough to continue on Tuesday - at this point, his immune systems hasn't been completely knocked out this cycle.

I'm scared, I know that if his immune system is completely gone, a simple infection like this can kill him.  Best case scenario, he kicks it, and continues with chemo.  If he doesn't kick it, they'll probably delay his chemo until he does -  extending his stay in Vancouver.

This is the part that frustrates me.  Because he isn't hospitalised, he is exposed to every one who comes and goes from the Cancer Lodge.  Most are well, but given the time of year, some are not.  I know Ken is careful to avoid sick people, but there's only so much he can do.  Especially when he has to travel back and forth to the hospital.

At least in the ward they were very careful to keep sick people out.  Ken was isolated in his room for an extended period because of the risk of C. difficile.  I felt safer knowing that he was under the constant care of nurses.

I just need to keep thinking positive that he'll get through this quickly.  Granted, I couldn't even have him here at home right now; our babies have both picked up colds that developed into ear infections.  But that should be dealt with within a couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment